Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Surgery update

Well, it's done. That "little" hole is all plugged up and my heart is as happy as it can be. Dr. Sherman Sorensen determined once he started the catheter procedure on my heart, that the hole had a little flap and it would be better to use the helix device instead of the little umbrella. It looks like a corkscrew. Once it was put in place and tightened, it conformed back to my heart and will prevent leakage through the hole. He used a size 20 mm helix device because my hole was about 10 mm. I was awake for the whole procedure. I watched it on the screen next to my head. I was sedated and so I kept closing my eyes and would "check in" every once in a while. I think I was asking him questions while he was working. I'm sure he loved that. I could feel something in my heart moving, but I was so relaxed that it didn't matter. The surgery only took 15-20 minutes and the prep time took about 45 minutes. My mom and Julie waited in the hospital room for me.

I am as ready as I'll ever be


Thumbs up after the surgery. The heart monitor wires are in my face.








Meanwhile, Julie sent out an email to my family and friends to let them know what was going on. I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support evident in the emails and phone calls I have received. Thank you so much to everyone! I have definitely felt your prayers and well wishes. (Laura, I think your 24-hour fast pushed it over the edge.)

2 comments:

Lila said...

i am so impressed with how short the surgery was and for you to be awake!? wow. i admit that i regretfully forgot the day of the surgery but am glad laura fasted for me ;) xoxo. i love all the love you recieved. xoxo

Gingyroo said...

Looks like you had an awesome time at the hospital hotel. ;)