This was my first time staying overnight at the hospital. My parents visited until about 7:30 p.m. and then I was there by myself. Earlier, I would periodically try to get up and do a "turn about" the hospital halls. I worked up to walking around the entire floor. Every hour the nurses would check my incisions for infection and take my blood pressure and pulse. I didn't really want to watch TV because nothing interesting was on. Finally I decided to ask for a DVD. The current DVD in the player was "Heart Failure." For some reason, that didn't really interest me. (That is like watching Titanic on a cruise, which I have done.) While I was watching my DVD, I filed my nails and pretended like I was doing something productive. After the nurse checked on me at midnight, I decided to put in my ear plugs and get some sleep. The patient next door kept his TV on all night at a loud volume and I was so happy that I brought ear plugs. Around 2:30 a.m., I took another walk and ate some graham crackers from the "snack room." I slept again until 7:30 a.m.
One of Dr. Sorensen's nurses came in and told me all of the instructions for post-surgery care. Then I was given another echo cardiogram to make sure the device was still in place and my heart was accepting its new friend. He said that everything looked good and I was cleared for discharge.
My mom came to pick me up around 10 a.m. I called the nurse to come in and remove my IV and take off the heart monitors. Right then, the fire alarm in the hospital went off and a voice over the loud speaker told everyone to get out of the building, now. The IV was one of the worst parts of the surgery. It hurt the whole time and I kept putting warm and cold packs on it. I decided right then and there that I was not going to leave the hospital until I got it out. Finally a hospital administrator came around and told everyone that the fire alarm was just a drill. Thank goodness. I might have taken the IV out myself. I was wheeled out to the car and my hospital stay was over. The nurses and staff were great, but I hope I don't see them anytime soon.
2 comments:
Yeah I never get ANY sleep in the hospital.
The IV was the worst part of each of my birth experiences. I'm not a huge fan.
Last year when I was going to be flying, I picked up a book before boarding. I realized later that it was about a plane crash.
Glad you're out of the hospital and home again!
Post a Comment