A few years back, my family went to Niagara Falls. We decided to go on the "Maid of the Mist" boat ride at the bottom of the falls. We put on blue ponchos and all got in the boat. When we were at the bottom of the falls and the water was pelting us, the tour guide said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, THIS is Niagara Falls!" Like we weren't sure where we were or what we were seeing. It was the joke of the trip. It just cracks me up that unless you are IN the attraction--it isn't there or not happening.
I thought of this experience when I was watching the news this past weekend. Hurricane Ike was pelting the Gulf Coast and there were mandatory evacuations. Every national news channel would show a reporter with a rain jacket on , soaking wet, holding on to a tree because the wind was blowing at 100 MPH. I am always so worried that they feel like they have to be IN the hurricane to tell us about it. Can't they be in a safe location and just watch the radar? The reporters kept saying, we are having a hurricane, which I found funny since it was pretty obvious there was a hurricane.
No comments:
Post a Comment