Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Explanation

A little over a year ago my sister, Julie, started having really bad migraines, dizziness and vertigo. It was very debilitating. She couldn't drive and she often had to hold on to something when she stood or tried walking. After going to seven doctors, someone suggested that she may have a hole in her heart and should go to cardiologist Dr. Sherman Sorensen.

Here is her description:

The idea is that when there is a hole between the right and left atriums of the heart, dirty blood (unoxygenated blood) will pass from the right atrium to the left atrium (without going to the lungs to be cleaned) and up to your brain causing migraines, dizziness, auras, vertigo, etc. If a blood clot passes through, it will cause a stroke, which is the major concern! After inserting the device in the heart to close the hole, 85 percent of patients have decreased migraines. I've seen a noticeable difference and I no longer have vertigo (I had it once a week before).About 20 percent of the population has a hole and many times, people with holes don't know they have one. Most holes go undetected. People may have one or several of these symptoms: severe migraines, dizziness, lightheadedness, vertigo or a stroke.

Julie has seen significant improvements and has realized that this procedure saved her life. So far she has told this to numerous people who have been to Dr. Sorensen, had their hole fixed and now have a better quality of life. Since I have had migraines and have been a little lightheaded, she told me that I should just go get the test to make sure I don't have a hole. Just rule it out.

I went about two and a half weeks ago and found out that not only do I have a hole, but the blood flow passing through it is more than Julie's. They put saline in an IV and then watch to see if the "bubbles" go through the hole to the left atrium of the heart and then up to the brain. The "flow" of bubbles is determined on a scale of 1-5. Five is the largest flow. When I am at rest my flow is 4 and when I am blowing into a straw it is a 5+. So, pretty much my flap is open all the time. Nice. I don't want to be in that club. Two weeks ago I had an MRI. Very scary. I found out that I don't have any brain damage from severe migraines or mini strokes. What a relief!

Yesterday I went to have the final test done, an echocardiogram. Again, they inserted saline bubbles into my vein and watched them pass from the right to the left atrium of my heart. It was amazing watching the bubbles flow through the atriums of my heart up on the monitor.
The surgery is noninvasive as a catheter procedure through the femoral artery in my leg. They will put a tube up to my heart through my vein and then insert a device, which pops open a little umbrella on both sides of the hole to seal it shut. It is pretty cool.

Watch it here. Click on the windows media link — there isn't any sound.

My surgery has been scheduled for March 15. Pray that all goes well!


7 comments:

Lisa said...

ugh, scary. Jesse's wondering if I should go get checked. But I don't usually have migranes. I hope everything goes well for the surgery! I know it will! Seriously, what's up with our family?

Clegg Family said...

What? No pictures from the Alaskan Cruise still? I guess I'll just have to keep checking... :)

That is so scary, Cher. Let me know if I can help...I'm really good at delivering Arctic Circle shakes!

Cindy said...

Sorry to hear about that Cherilyn! I hope everything goes on the 15th of March. We will keep you in our prayers!

Lila said...

UGH! i will be praying so full of faith for you and for the doctor. i love you and want you in peak health. now i want to visit you even MORE! sheesh. i am so glad you found this doctor and you and your beautiful sister have been blessed by it. thank you so much for posting this. good luck!

Unknown said...

Scary but sounds like you are in good hands. We'll be thinking of you and best of luck with the recovery. I hope B&C is going well, but you're a pro so I never worry.

cami said...

Oh my! We will definitely pray for you! Hope all goes well!

Tawna said...

oh my gosh Cherilyn. Definately scary! I hope it all goes well!!!