Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let them eat cake

Julie and I volunteered to bring a dessert to a family dinner on Sunday. Since we haven't used our cake decorating skills very much, I thought we should break out the frosting bags and tips and make a St. Patrick's Day cake. When we took the cake decorating class we made a round cake with a rainbow on it and I thought I could make the same cake and put a pot of gold at the end.

Julie was in charge of making the cake and I was in charge of frosting it. I put cheesecake pudding in between the layers and cut each layer in half so there were 4 layers. I was on a roll and thought that I would stay up late on Friday night and just frost the outer layer of the cake with blue frosting (for the sky). I got it all frosted and it looked pretty good. When I tasted the frosting though, it had a really weird aftertaste. I didn't worry about it and went to bed.

The next morning I told Julie my dilemma and she said that the frosting did taste a little funny. I didn't know that vanilla or butter flavoring went bad, but I guess it does. I decided to cut a big chunk out of the cake and taste it. It kind of looked like a big blue pac-man. The inside of the cake was so yummy, but the frosting ruined it. So, I scooped up the blue pac-man and put it in a garbage sack and threw it away outside. I should of taken a picture first.

Julie started to make the second cake. She reached into the dishwasher to get out the clean one cup measuring cup and instead got the two cup. She put two cups of water in the cake mix and it calls for one. Since it was really runny, she put more flour in. She baked it and just prayed that it would work. It didn't. It didn't really taste very well.


By this time I had gone to the store and bought all new ingredients just to make sure the frosting turned out okay. Of course I wasn't thinking and I got regular vanilla instead of clear and so the white frosting had a little tint to it. Luckily I was going to color most of the frosting anyway. Julie made the THIRD cake and I had the pudding all ready to put in the layers and the frosting was made and ready to go. When I started to frost the cake I guess I got a little too ambitious and put too much filling in between the layers. The layers were sliding all over the place. I would frost one side and when I turned the cake around all of the filling was coming out the other side. By the time I finally got the cake covered the best I could, I ran out of blue frosting and it didn't look that great, but after three cakes I couldn't spend any more time on it. Anyway, it wasn't the best frost job, but it sort of resembled a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end. The cake was yummy. I figured it would have to do after three times!!!


4 comments:

Clegg Family said...

Can I hire you to make the giant blue pac-man cake for Josh's birthday?! :)

Britt said...

Looks good to me. :)

Gingyroo said...

Lol ... I'm sorry you had such an eventful cake making experiences. It looks really good though! And I LOVE the idea of cheesecake pudding filling!!! YUM!

Tawna said...

Love the rainbow cake!! the pacman cake sounds awesome!