Monday, January 7, 2008

The "New" State Capitol

The Utah State Capitol was re-dedicated on Statehood Day, January 4, 2008. The Capitol has been under renovation for 4 years and everyone is excited to see the changes. The ceremony took place at 2 p.m. which is the same time it was held in 1916. The program was also very similar with the capitol architect, Governor, Speaker of the House, President of the Senate and Justice of the Supreme Court all taking a turn to speak. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang and then President Hinckley dedicated the building. There were 2,000 people who attended the re-dedication ceremony. When the choir started singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic" it was one of the most awesome things I have ever heard. It was very powerful with the Temple Square orchestera, National Guard band and bells ringing on all three floors. I thought the top of the rotunda might pop off. It was quite a sight.

Preparations before the ceremony
The Salt Lake International Childrens Choir
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Governor Jon Huntsman
President Gordon B. Hinckley

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Aren't you glad it's finished? It looks really cool, I want to take Maddi and Andrew to see it! But I'm still sad that tornado took down all those big trees!