Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Does anyone have a fire extinguisher?

So, here is what happened. All was quiet in the lodge. Almost everyone had gone sledding and only a few of us stayed behind.



I was playing a pretty intense game of Skip Bo with Cindy, Julie and Zach. Uncle Clint had come downstairs to tell us that my dad just "skooled" him in ping pong. (way to go Dad)

Aunt Debbie was in the kitchen making brownies for later. She calmly came out of the kitchen and asked Clint if he could get the fire extinguisher. He said, why? The rest of us jumped up as she told us that the stove was on fire. I ran upstairs to get the fire extinguisher that I had seen up there. When I came back down, Zach had found a fire extinguisher behind the door and he and Clint ran into the kitchen, pulled open the oven door and sprayed the fire extinguisher.


Apparently Clint was stuck against the wall helping Zach. He got free and ran for the door and shut it. There was smoke from the fumes everywhere. We decided to close the other door so the smoke would be contained. This was before we knew that Zach was still in there. He came out gasping for air. He said that the flame would not go out. Debbie immediately called the "special" number for the lodge and before she even hung up the phone, two guys came running across the bridge to us. Meanwhile, my parents were upstairs wondering why smoke was coming up between the wooden floor slats. I yelled for all of them to leave the building.


We stood outside while the fire chief accessed the situation.


The actual fire extinguisher that was used


The fire extinguisher made a huge mess in the kitchen and everything had to be scrubbed down and washed. I was not happy that Julie and I cleaned up the breakfast dishes and washed lots of pans and skillets :) Too bad we didn't just wait for a while....

Here we are outside while the poor guys are cleaning out the oven. Apparently the bottom element in the oven snapped and that was the pop Debbie heard. It is a fairly new oven. Hmmm. By the way, Cindy and I won the Skip Bo game even though we were "interrupted"

3 comments:

Britt said...

When I first heard someone mention this I didn't believe it because you guys kept it pretty hush-hush at first. :) My dad didn't seem too concerned about getting sprayed down either. hmmm

Hilarious

Laura Bradford said...

Yep! I was put to work!

Lila said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!